More Info


Ship Builders

Search by category




Choose a language

B

A

A and J Inglis Ltd, Pointhouse.

Founded 1862 by Anthony and John Inglis when they acquired the Pointhouse Yard of Thomas B Sneath.  This very successful shipbuilder was acquired by Harland & Wolff in 1919, who later decided to consolidate their business in Belfast and closed the yard in 1962.

A Leslie and Company, Tyneside

Shetlander Andrew Leslie (1818-1894) established the Hebburn shipyard in 1853. When he retired in 1886 the company merged with locomotive manufacturer R & W Hawthorn to become Hawthorn Leslie & Co. Prior to the merger his yard created a dry dock and launched 255 ships.

Ailsa Shipbuilding Co, Troon

Founded in 1885 by the Marquis of Ailsa. In 1902 they fitted out the polar exploration ship “Scotia” for the Scottish National Antarctic Expedition. Ailsa was nationalised in 1977 and subsumed into the British Shipbuilders Corporation in 1981. Large scale shipbuilding stopped in 1988.

Aitken & Mansel, Whiteinch, Glasgow.

Established 1863, closed 1890.

Alexander Hall and Co, Aberdeen.

Founded 1790 by Alexander Hall. Famous for development of the Aberdeen or Clipper bow. Taken over in 1957 by Hall Russell.

Alexander Stephen And Sons Ltd, Linthouse.

Founded in 1750 at Burghhead, Moray Firth, by Alexander Stephen. In 1793 a descendent opened a yard in Aberdeen. In 1813 another descendent opened a further yard in Arbroath. A third generation of the family merged the Aberdeen and Arbroath yards in 1828. 1842 Saw closure of the merged business in Aberdeen, followed by a move to the Panmure Yard in Dundee in 1842. In 1850 a lease was taken from Robert Black on the Kelvinhaugh Yard, Glasgow. Arbroath Yard closed in 1857. In 1870 Glasgow Yard moved to Linthouse. 1893 saw sale of the Dundee business to the Dundee Shipbuilding Co. In 1968 was incorporated into Upper Clyde Shipbuilders (UCS), which collapsed in 1971 and the yard closed.

Alley and MacLennan Ltd, Polmadie.

Founded 1875. More information required.

Archibald McMillan and Sons, Dumbarton.

Founded at West Bridgend yard, Dumbarton, in 1832. Transferred to James Lang’s dockyard in 1845. They remained there till their demise in 1932. They had no engine works and concentrated on building large sailing ships.

Ardrossan Shipbuilding Co

Established 1842 by John Barr and James Shearer. Name changed to Ardrossan Shipbuilding Co in 1870s. In 1891 it became Ardrossan Dockyard Ltd, and in 1899 the name changed again to Ardrossan Dry Dock & Shipbuilding Co. Around that time it had 2,300 employees. Following further management and ownership changes the south yard was purchased and closed in 1930 by National Shipbuilders Security (NSS), London. The remainder of the yard closed in 1969.

Argyle Ship and Boatbuilding Co, Renfrew

Founded 1920. More information required.

Ayrshire Dockyard, Irvine

Founded 1888. More information required. In 1912 Mackie & Thomson sold their Govan yard and moved to Irvine. In 1928 yard bought by Lithgows who continued building there until 1959.

BAE Systems Surface Ships, Scotstoun and Govan.

Formed by degrees through purchase and merger of the two historic shipyards, Yarrow Shipbuilders Ltd and Fairfield Shipbuilding and Engineering Company.

BAIRD, Charles (1766-1843) Russia’s First Steamship Builder

Baird was born at Westerton, Stirlingshire. He served an apprenticeship at Carron Iron Works and in 1786 went to Russia. It was there in 1792 that he founded what became known as the Baird Works specialising in steam-driven machinery and in 1815 launched the Elizaveta, Russia’s first steamship.

Barclay Curle, Whiteinch.

Established in 1818 by Robert Barclay at Stobcross, Glasgow, and built a large engineering works there in 1862. Moved yard to Whiteinch in 1876. In 1912 acquired the nearby Elderslie Shipyard in Scotstoun from John Shearer & Sons. BC acquired itself by Swan Hunter in 1912. Ceased building ships at Whiteich in 1968.

Barr and Shearer

Ardrossan. F 1848

Blackwood and Gordon, Port Glasgow

Shipbuilders and Marine Engineers established 1860 at Castle Street. They had moved from Paisley in order to build larger ships.

Blythswood Shipbuilding Co, Scotstoun

Established 1919 by Hugh H MacMillan & Donald Bremner. Principally built tankers. Yard closed in 1964 and the yard acquired the following year by Yarrows for expansion.

Bow McLachlan and Co

Founded at abbotsinch in 1872 by engineers William Bow and John McLachlan. Built steering gear and light marine engines. In 1900 took over J McArthur & Co’s Thistle works and shipyard at Paisley, specialising in “knock-down” or pre-fabricated vessels that could be delivered in parts to be rebuilt where needed.

BREMNER, James (MICE)

Born Caithness, Scotland (1784-1856), a shipbuilder, civil engineer and recoverer of wrecks. Served an apprenticeship with Robert Steele & Sons of Greenock, then returned to Wick and established his own shipyard. Became a renowned wreck recoverer of approx 240 vessels, including that of ┬áBrunel’s “Great Eastern”. He also worked on a large number of harbours in Scotland, including Telfords harbour at Wick.

Buckie Shipyard

Started life in 1903 as Herd & McKenzie. In 2013 it became insolvent and its assets acquired by McDuff Shipyards.

Links

Burntisland Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Burntisland.

Founded in 1918 by Wilfred and Amos Ayre. The yard built 310 ships before its closure in 1969.

Caird and Co, Greenock

Shipbuilders and marine engineers, established in 1828 by John Caird.

Caledon Shipbuilding and Engineering Co

F Dundee 1874 by William Bruce Thompson

Scottish Achievement, Influence & Heritage is a work in progress