More Info


Engineering

Search by category




Choose a language

B

A

A and J Inglis Ltd, Pointhouse.

Founded 1862 by Anthony and John Inglis when they acquired the Pointhouse Yard of Thomas B Sneath.  This very successful shipbuilder was acquired by Harland & Wolff in 1919, who later decided to consolidate their business in Belfast and closed the yard in 1962.

A and W Smith and Company

Eglinton Engine Works. Listed as locomotive builders. Further information required.

A C

A F Craig Ltd, Paisley

In the 1870’s the Caledonia Engineering works produced the unusual 3ft 1.5″ gauge locomotive.

A Leslie and Company, Tyneside

Shetlander Andrew Leslie (1818-1894) established the Hebburn shipyard in 1853. When he retired in 1886 the company merged with locomotive manufacturer R & W Hawthorn to become Hawthorn Leslie & Co. Prior to the merger his yard created a dry dock and launched 255 ships.

Ailsa Shipbuilding Co, Troon

Founded in 1885 by the Marquis of Ailsa. In 1902 they fitted out the polar exploration ship “Scotia” for the Scottish National Antarctic Expedition. Ailsa was nationalised in 1977 and subsumed into the British Shipbuilders Corporation in 1981. Large scale shipbuilding stopped in 1988.

Airdrie Iron Company

Established 1890 as a general engineering company. Closed having built approximately 30 locomotives.

Aitken & Mansel, Whiteinch, Glasgow.

Established 1863, closed 1890.

Albion

Alex Anderson and Son Ltd

Built locomotive boilers and effected heavy locomotive repairs at Carfin Boiler Works, Motherwell.

Alexander Chaplin and Company, Glasgow

Between 1860 and the early 1900’s the Cranstonhill Engine Works produced patent vertical boiler locomotives for home and export markets. Evidently the boiler was a very good steam raiser.

Alexander Hall and Co, Aberdeen.

Founded 1790 by Alexander Hall. Famous for development of the Aberdeen or Clipper bow. Taken over in 1957 by Hall Russell.

Alexander Shanks and Company, Arbroath

The Dens Iron Works was established in 1840 and a number of portable locomotives built for British dockyards. They also exported locomotives for use in New Zealand.

Alexander Stephen And Sons Ltd, Linthouse.

Founded in 1750 at Burghhead, Moray Firth, by Alexander Stephen. In 1793 a descendent opened a yard in Aberdeen. In 1813 another descendent opened a further yard in Arbroath. A third generation of the family merged the Aberdeen and Arbroath yards in 1828. 1842 Saw closure of the merged business in Aberdeen, followed by a move to the Panmure Yard in Dundee in 1842. In 1850 a lease was taken from Robert Black on the Kelvinhaugh Yard, Glasgow. Arbroath Yard closed in 1857. In 1870 Glasgow Yard moved to Linthouse. 1893 saw sale of the Dundee business to the Dundee Shipbuilding Co. In 1968 was incorporated into Upper Clyde Shipbuilders (UCS), which collapsed in 1971 and the yard closed.

Allan Andrews and Company, Kilmarnock

Commenced locomotive building in the 1870s at the Britannia Engineering Works, Kilmarnock.  More information required.

Alley and MacLennan Ltd, Polmadie.

Founded 1875. More information required.

Allied Vehicles

Established Glasgow in 1993 and in 2012 now employing over 330 people. Specialising in design and production of a wide range of vehicles including taxis, ambulances and electric vehicles.

Andrew Barclay Sons and Company, Kilmarnock

Had a rather chequered history, passing through several takeovers before eventually closing. They were the largest builder of fireless locomotives in Britain, and also built small robust locomotives for industrial purposes. They exported over 80 locomotives to Australia, New Zealand and Fiji.

Archibald Baird and Company

Built locomotives at Hamilton. Further information required.

Archibald McMillan and Sons, Dumbarton.

Founded at West Bridgend yard, Dumbarton, in 1832. Transferred to James Lang’s dockyard in 1845. They remained there till their demise in 1932. They had no engine works and concentrated on building large sailing ships.

Ardrossan Shipbuilding Co

Established 1842 by John Barr and James Shearer. Name changed to Ardrossan Shipbuilding Co in 1870s. In 1891 it became Ardrossan Dockyard Ltd, and in 1899 the name changed again to Ardrossan Dry Dock & Shipbuilding Co. Around that time it had 2,300 employees. Following further management and ownership changes the south yard was purchased and closed in 1930 by National Shipbuilders Security (NSS), London. The remainder of the yard closed in 1969.

Argyle Motors Ltd

The Hozier Engineering Company was established at Bridgeton Glasgow in 1899 by Alex Govan, and early cars were built there. c.1904 the company, now called Argyle, moved to magnificent new premises in Alexandria. Following Govan’s death in 1907 the company went into decline and was liquidated in 1908. Several attempts were made to re-establish the marque but all met with limited success and the final Agyle was produced c1990.

Argyle Ship and Boatbuilding Co, Renfrew

Founded 1920. More information required.

Scottish Achievement, Influence & Heritage is a work in progress