More Info


Search by category




Choose a language

Ardrossan Shipbuilding Co

Established 1842 by John Barr and James Shearer. Name changed to Ardrossan Shipbuilding Co in 1870s. In 1891 it became Ardrossan Dockyard Ltd, and in 1899 the name changed again to Ardrossan Dry Dock & Shipbuilding Co. Around that time it had 2,300 employees. Following further management and ownership changes the south yard was purchased and closed in 1930 by National Shipbuilders Security (NSS), London. The remainder of the yard closed in 1969.

Scottish Achievement, Influence & Heritage is a work in progress