More Info


Search by category




Choose a language

Alexander Stephen And Sons Ltd, Linthouse.

Founded in 1750 at Burghhead, Moray Firth, by Alexander Stephen. In 1793 a descendent opened a yard in Aberdeen. In 1813 another descendent opened a further yard in Arbroath. A third generation of the family merged the Aberdeen and Arbroath yards in 1828. 1842 Saw closure of the merged business in Aberdeen, followed by a move to the Panmure Yard in Dundee in 1842. In 1850 a lease was taken from Robert Black on the Kelvinhaugh Yard, Glasgow. Arbroath Yard closed in 1857. In 1870 Glasgow Yard moved to Linthouse. 1893 saw sale of the Dundee business to the Dundee Shipbuilding Co. In 1968 was incorporated into Upper Clyde Shipbuilders (UCS), which collapsed in 1971 and the yard closed.

Scottish Achievement, Influence & Heritage is a work in progress